“Light ruby in color, aromas of tart red berries and pomegranate frame the nose, with delicate accents of red flowers and woodland spice providing depth. There’s a real sense of vitality on the palate. It’s loaded with fresh acidity that props up all the tangy red-fruit flavors, with shades of spice and granite broadening out the feel.”—Wine Enthusiast
After a mild winter with little snowfall and an uneventful spring, we had only one inch or less of recorded rain in June and July and were classified as being under “extreme drought” by the U.S. Drought Monitor. Although the hot, dry summer put some stress on vineyards, we enjoyed excellent yields and relatively low disease pressure which resulted in a very clean crop. These conditions also accelerated the
ripening process. Overall, our vineyards produced berries of normal size with high sugars and low acids which yielded excellent reds with good concentration and ripe tannins.
We destemmed 80% of the hand-picked and hand-sorted fruit while leaving 20% in whole clusters. It underwent an eight day fermentation in open-top bins with RA-17 yeast with three times daily pigéage. The wine was then transferred to neutral French oak barrels where it aged nine months.
Release Date: August 18, 2018